Friday, March 8, 2013

wedding upDATE

As you guys know, Austin and I got engaged this past summer.  Since then, I think I've gotten the question, "when's the big day?!" about 7,000 times.  It's definitely a valid question, and I totally understand why people ask it.  He put a ring on it, so people want to know when we'll officially be Mr. & Mrs.
 
July 4, 2012
The thing that bugs me is most people's response when I give them the answer: "We don't have a specific date yet, but we're planning for June or July 2014."

"WHAT?!  WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU WAITING ALMOST TWO YEARS TO GET MARRIED?!!!?!?!?!"

You would think I told them we were planning to get married on a glacier in the middle of winter wearing nothing but our smiles by the way they react.

So, in an effort to explain our waiting ways, I'd like to provide all of my wonderful readers with a list....

Why We're Waiting 2 Years Instead of 1:

1) The "new teacher" thing
Austin proposed on July 4th.  I was offered my first teaching position about a week later.  I don't know if you've ever been a first year teacher before, but it can get pretty intense/stressful/overwhelming.  I'd heard this little rumor from other, experienced teachers, so I thought it best to avoid wedding planning stress whilst in the middle of all my first year teacher stress.

2) The "vacation" thing
Austin and I are both semi-recent college grads.  He started his current job a little less than a year ago, so he does not have an abundance of paid vacation.  We are already taking a big trip this summer with Austin's family, and if we added a honeymoon into the mix, Austin would not be able to miss, like, any other days of work (even if he was sick). 

3) The "money" thing
As I'm sure most couples would agree, Austin and I want our honeymoon to be really special!  We want to go somewhere beachy and romantic and fun.  Most places like that require a little bit of moolah.  Waiting an extra year gives us (and my "us" I mean Austin) the opportunity to save up so we can go somewhere amazing!

4) The "Jamie is really slow at doing everything" thing  
If you know me, you know that I take my time doing just about everything.  Obviously this wedding is pretty high on my "important" list, so I want to really take my time and do this right!  I want to look at tons of venues, weigh my options, plan out scenarios, give myself time to think.  Since I'll have spring break and summer off, I'll have a lot of time to plan! 

5) The "14" thing
The number 14 is significant to our relationship.  Austin and I started dating on October 14, 2009.  We got engaged on the 4th (that's 14 without the 1!) There are 14 tiny diamonds in my engagement ring (and 1 big daddy diamond).  I think it's cool to carry on the tradition of 14!

6) The "because we want to" thing
2014 works better for us, so that's when we're going to get married. 

There you have it.  A simple list of reasons in case you were interested.  I'm not trying to go all Bridezilla, I promise...that'll come later :)

Be on the lookout for more posts about our big day.  I'm hoping to nail down an official date and a venue over spring break, so that should be exciting!


Happy Friday everybody!! I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!!!

5 comments:

  1. Just wait, once you get married you get asked, "When are you having kids?" over and over again. :) Fun stuff, let me tell you! Love the significance of the number 14. My husband proposed to be on June 14th, and we got married a year later on June 14th. It's a great number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 14 thing! It's a very love-y number :)

      Delete
  2. Nothing but our smiles.. HAHAHAHA! I almost spit out my water at work when I read that, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean i should put TBD Harmon wedding on Sat June 14th of 2014?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe! It depends on what the venue we choose has available!

      Delete