Tuesday, December 10, 2013

ice ice birthday


Well, we've had quite the weekend in the DFW area!  If you've turned on the TV or radio at all in the past few days, I'm sure you've heard about the awful ice storm that hit Thursday night. 
 
Thursday also happened to be Austin's 25th birthday, but we did not let a little storm get in the way of our celebration!
 
Birthday Boy
 
Austin and I met up with some of our friends to have dinner and drinks at one of Austin's favorite restaurants, Pappasito's, on Thursday evening, and we made it home just before the craziness started.  We woke up on Friday morning to a freezing apartment, no electricity, no hot water, and a thick blanket of ice on everything outside. 
 
Yes, that is my spatula that Austin is using to scrape his windshield!
 
Luckily we have good friends that live close to us and that (thank goodness) had power on Friday!  Shout out to our pal Cody for letting us hang out at his apartment all day and to Molly & Stephen for letting us shower and get ready at their apartments!
 
Because we were totally over being cooped up all day on Friday (and because two of our friends had delayed flights), we went to a concert that evening!  Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West were playing at a venue that wasn't too far from us, so we decided to brave the ice once again!
 
I'm so glad we did because while we were grabbing some dinner before the show, I ran into one of my favorite radio personalities, Jenna Owens!  I listen to Jenna and the rest of the KKITM crew every day on my way to work, and I usually play the full podcast when I'm cooking dinner.  I love Jenna, and she was so sweet in person! 
 
Don't know Jenna?  Click here.
 The actual concert was a blast.  Because of the storm, a lot of people weren't able to make it, so we happily occupied their (much better and closer) seats.  Both of these rappers are great live, and Kanye's entire production was really cool! 
 

We stayed inside for the majority of the day on Saturday, but that evening we ventured out to attend our friend Ashley's Christmas party.  She had the cutest spread, and we got to see her new house.  There were a few people who couldn't make the drive, so it was an intimate setting, but we had fun despite the numbers!


 The rest of the weekend was pretty boring.  I spent Sunday doing laundry and ordering our Save the Dates, and yesterday I went grocery shopping, made some chex mix, finished the laundry, and cooked up some chicken soup. 

I'm back at school today, and I think things should be back to normal fairly soon.  If you know me, I'm sure you're aware that this is not my favorite weather by any means, so I'm doing everything I can to stay warm.  The storm weekend was definitely crazy, but I'm glad we didn't let a little ice ruin all of our fun.

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment