Lightened Up Shrimp Scampi
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about two lemons)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
a heafty sprinkling of salt & pepper
a very very tiny dollop of butter (not pictured because I decided to add it at the last minute)
enough whole wheat pasta to serve 3-4 people (not pictured because I'm a goofball)
Extra chopped parsley and lemon wedges for serving
1) Heat up the olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add the garlice and let it cook for about 30-45 seconds or until it's fragrant.
2) Add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer. Allow one side to cook for about 2 minutes. Flip over the shrimp and let the other side cook for another minute or two. Take the shrimp out of the pan and set them aside.
3) Add the chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, parsley, and salt & pepper to the pan and bring it to a boil. Let that simmer away until the sauce is reduced by about half. This is the point where I added in the butter. My sauce wasn't thickening as much as I wanted it to, so adding the tiniest amount of butter helped it along. If you want a thinner sauce, you can totally leave out the butter!
4) Once the sauce is reduced, add in your cooked pasta (it's a good idea to start cooking your pasta right before you start your sauce). Toss the pasta around until it's all coated with the delicious sauce!
5) Serve your pasta in a shallow bowl and top with the shrimp you set aside earlier. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and a lemon wedge.
This was an easy meal that came together quick! It's perfect for a week night when you don't have a ton of time to slave away in the kitchen. I hope everyone is having a happy Tuesday! If you have Thursday and Friday off for the 4th of July (like me), today is really like Thursday!!