Tuesday, January 7, 2014

ms. val's beef tips

I think every guy has a meal or two that reminds him of where he grew up.  For Austin, Ms. Val's beef tips are one of those meals.  

I talked a little about Ms. Val in my last post, but in case you missed it, here's a quick run down: Ms. Val is Blake's mom.  Blake and Austin have known each other since Kindergarten and have been lifelong friends.  They were college roommates, Austin was Blake's best man, and Blake is also going to be the best man in our wedding.  They're BFFs.  


I can't tell you how many times Austin has mentioned these beef tips, and he is always telling me that he wants me to make them.  The only problem is I didn't have the recipe...until Christmas Eve!  Ms. Val graciously shared this with me while we were at her house celebrating the season, and I couldn't wait to make it.  Austin loved it, and I thought it was delicious as well.  It is definitely old school home cookin' (helllooooo cream of mushroom soup), but that's what makes it so comforting.

So, without further ado, here's how you make Ms. Val's beef tips:


INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 bouillon cubes
2 lbs round steak, cut into bite size pieces
1 container of mushrooms, sliced
1 "family size" can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of evaporated milk


DIRECTIONS:

In a large skillet, combine the olive oil and bouillon cubes over medium high heat.  Break up the cubes so it looks kind of like a paste.  Get your skillet HOT.

Add the steak in a single layer, and do not touch it once you put it in the pan.  Just let it get a nice sear because that will help add some delicious flavor later.  

Once one side of the meat is brown and has some good color, flip it over and let the other side brown for a minute or so.

After the steak is brown, add in the mushrooms and let those hang out for a little bit.    


Add in the cream of mushroom soup and condensed milk, and stir everything together.  Let that get hot, and then turn the heat down to low and cover it up!


Let the beef tips cook in the sauce for about 2 hours.  Keep it covered and cooking on low, but stir it about every 10 or 15 minutes.  

Once the sauce has thickened to the consistency of thick gravy, it's done!  Serve it over mashed potatoes or rice.  

 
 
I'm linking up with Ashley and Jessica today for Taste of Tuesday!  Have a great day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I grew up eating a similar dish... I completely forgot about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is definitely an oldie but a goodie.

      Delete