Saturday, December 10, 2011

7 layers of yum

Today, I would like to tell you guys about the dish I made for Thanksgiving.  It’s simple.  It’s healthy (kind of).  It’s delicious.  It’s 7 layer salad!  My grandma taught me how to make this a couple of years ago on Thanksgiving, and since then I've made it every year...

Here’s what you’ll need for success:

-roughly chopped lettuce
-roughly chopped spinach (uncooked)
-frozen peas
-5-6 hard boiled eggs
-12-14 pieces of bacon
-mayonnaise
-mozzarella cheese 
-salt & pepper

Step 1: boil your eggies and cook your bacon.

I’ve started cooking my bacon in the oven.  It comes out all crispy and delicious, and I don’t have to worry about hot grease flying out of the pan doesn’t pop me anymore.  I did this for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees, and it came out great!  For the eggs, place them in boiling water for 13 minutes, and then cool them down by running them under some cold water.

Step 2: chop up the eggs and crumble the bacon.

Step 3: line the bottom of a 9X13 pyrex dish with your lettuce.
 Step 4: add on the spinach.
Step 5: pour in some peas.
Step 6: sprinkle on the eggs.
Step 7: add the crumbled bacon.
Step 8: spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over the top.
**This step is the hardest part of the whole recipe.  It’s easiest to just make tiny mayonnaise mountains all over the salad, and then spread it out.  If there’s any excess mayo I always just scrape it off and stick it back in the jar.
Step 9: sprinkle the entire bag of cheese over the mayo.
Step 10: finish with a little bit of salt and pepper, and you’re ready to go!
This salad is best served cold, so allow it to refrigerate for a few hours before serving.   

No comments:

Post a Comment