Wednesday, May 9, 2012

an atx weekend

 This past weekend, Austin and I went to Austin (the city)!  Two of my very best friends in the world (KK and Kaway) are about to graduate from Texas, so I wanted to take advantage of my free place to stay up there one more time before they leave.  Here's a photo journey of the trip:

We hit the road (Jack) on Friday afternoon and then stopped in Waco (boo) for some Chipotle (yum).  I love love love Chipotle.  Wonderful start to the trip!


As soon as we arrived in Austin, we decided to get hydrated...


...and then took the bus to 6th street!  That thing was c-r-o-w-d-e-d.  It's like it was the last weekend of the semester or something...


Friday night was really hot but really fun.  There's nothing quite like hitting a Texas dance floor with a couple of your besties.

On Saturday morning we woke up and ate doughnuts.  I did not take a picture of my doughnut because I ate it too fast.  Oops.

I did take a picture of our lunch though!  We went to a place called Patio Cafe, and it was great!  It was also veryyy cheap!  My whole meal was only 6 ducks.  Look at all that food I got for $6...wowzaaa.


After eating our body weights in Mexican food and tortilla chips, we did what any sane person would do: put on our bikinis and went to a place with hundreds of people.  

You've heard of Barton Springs, right?  It is such a pretty place, and it was the perfect day to get our tan on.  Here we all are on the hill (minus Caroline because she is behind the camera):  


This was my view when I was laying down:


And this was my view if I sat up:


Here's what I saw if I turned to my left:


And here are the people hula-hooping in their underpants that I saw if I turned around:


Oh Austin, there's really nowhere else quite like it.

For dinner on Saturday we went to Shady Grove.  I loved this place.  We got to sit outside on this wonderful patio, and they had a big movie screen set up that was playing The Wizard of Oz. 


And because it was Cinco de Mayo, I obviously got one of these:


Saturday evening was filled with more 6th street adventures, and it ended with us running to the bus because it started POURING down rain at the end of the night.  When we finally got to the the bus, my friends wanted me to get on first so I wouldn't accidentally get left behind and be forced to brave the streets of Austin by myself.  However, the bus was pretty much full, and the driver told me that I was the last one on as soon as I stepped up.  He then proceeded to shut the doors, catching my left heel in the process (ummm doesn't he know that the barefoot ballerina needs her entire foot to do things that barefeet ballerinas do?!).  It was terrifying.  Luckily, he opened the back doors so that my pals could get on, but I could not see them since I was riding shotgun next to the foot-breakin' driver.  I spent the next 15 minutes of my life listening to a drunk girl give her life story to the captain of the bus while he showed her pictures of his kids at red lights.  It was dumb.  But we all made it home safe, and now I have a good story.    

Sunday afternoon was filled with greatness.  I met up with Austin and our friends that he was staying with, and we went to a place called Hopdoddy's.  I got this:  


Holy cow.  This bison burger was awesome, and I can't even talk about the fries.  Hopdoddy's was delicious, and I wish I could go back every day.

As if a bison burger and a big sack of fries wasn't enough, we had to stop at my favorite place ever before we headed back to Dallas.


Gourdough's Donuts.  I found out about this place a year and half ago, and I seriously have dreams about this their donuts.  Here's what I order when I go:


This donut is called the "flying pig", and it is a regular doughnut that is dunked in a maple glaze and topped with crispy strips of bacon.  As I am typing this, my mouth is watering and I am seriously considering calling Gordough's to ask about their delivery options.

So, there you have it!  Austin was a lot of fun, but it's always nice to be back in big D.  I had a great time seeing my amigas, and I want to give them a special congratulations shout out for graduating college.  Way to go KK and Kaway!! Love you girls!   

No comments:

Post a Comment