Monday, July 14, 2014

our honeymoon: the reading lists

Anyone who travels knows that books are essential for a successful trip.  How else are you going to fill the time on the plane?  What else will you do while you're sitting on the beach?  Austin and I both read a few books during our trip; some were great, some were meh.  So, without further ado, here are our honeymoon reading lists!

His:

Austin definitely has a "type" when it comes to books.  He likes darker, suspenseful novels that focus on a trial or crime.  He started out with Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King.


Austin said this was the best book that he read during our trip.  If you can't tell from the cover, it's pretty dark.  He would definitely recommend it though!



Austin read both of these appropriately titled novels while we were hanging on the beach.  They are both about a series of crimes that happen to people while they are on their honeymoons.  How romantic, right?  He said these were just okay.  They were good, quick reads, but they weren't anything to write home about.


The last book on Austin's list was his least favorite.  He enjoyed Stephen King's writing, but he hated the ending to this!  I hate it when that happens (*cough* Allegiant). 

Hers:

I read a bit of a variety during our trip.  All three of these books have been on my reading list for awhile, so I was really thankful that I finally had some time to dive in!


I started with the book that I've been hearing good things about (particularly from my students) all year long.  In case you haven't heard, this is a story about two teens with cancer who fall in love.  I definitely enjoyed the book (it was hard to put it down!), but it probably isn't the best thing to read on your honeymoon unless you enjoy sobbing on the beach.


I decided to go with something a little lighter for my next read.  Jim Gaffigan is one of my favorite comedians, so I was really excited to read his book.  Jim has five kids, and this book consisted of a bunch of short essays about various topics centering around fatherhood.  The writing was funny, but there were a ton of jokes from his stand up routines.  So if you're like me and have listened to all of his material, this book may be a little redundant.  


This novel has been on my reading list for-ev-er, so I was stoked to finally jump in!  In case you don't know, Lauren Graham is an actress (mostly known for her roles on Parenthood and Gilmore Girls).  I LOVE Gilmore Girls, so when I found out Lorelai wrote a book, I knew I had to get my hands on it.  It did not disappoint!  Someday, Someday, Maybe follows Franny, a struggling actress, as she tries to make it big in New York.  The story is fantastic and I loved Lauren Graham's writing style.  It was a great read for the beach!

Well, that concludes my posts about our honeymoon.  As you can see, we had a fabulous trip, and we plan to go back to The Body Holiday to celebrate our 25th anniversary!  Stay tuned for some posts about our wedding!!   

2 comments:

  1. Y'all killed it on the reading front! How did you have time for that between archery and kayaking and eating your faces off? I'm impressed!

    Glad to hear you like TFioS! Such a beautiful love story, but yeah, kind of a downer. I'm super intrigued by Lauren Graham's book! I'm a huge GG fan, and I wouldn't have pegged her as a writer, but your rave is all I need to know. I'm going to have to see if my library carries it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised that we both read so many books in one week too, Amy. Our resort didn't have any TVs, so we would read on the beach in between activities and then any time when we were in the room and had time to kill (while the other person was getting ready, before we went to sleep, etc.). We also had 13+ hours of travel both ways, so that's where a lot of the pages were turned as well.

      I hope your library has it! The thing I liked most about the book was that the story wasn't predictable. I mean, maybe it is to some people, but not for me. It was refreshing!

      Delete