Saturday, February 11, 2012

food for the week

Last week we had three different things for dinner…

On Sunday/Monday I made our favorite chicken with rice and roasted asparagus.


Lemon Basil Chicken
I love easy side dishes, and for me rice is pretty much as easy as it gets.  All I do is dump about a cup of uncooked rice into my rice cooker, add in about 2 cups of water plus a drizzle of olive oil, and then press start.  Easy peasy. 

It’s the same story for the roasted asparagus.  Toss the little stalks in some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic salt, and then roast at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. 

Tuesday night we wanted to try something easy, cheap, and comfort-foody.  Enter tomato soup with grilled cheese. 


Tomato Soup Recipe
I decided to attempt to make my own tomato soup, and you know what?  It was SO easy, probably cost about the same as good ol’ Cambell’s canned version, and it tasted great! 

For Wednesday and Thursday night I made a pork roast with roasted vegetables.  



I had a wonderful pork recipe in mind as I made my weekly trek to our local Kroger, but when I started perusing the meat case, there were no plain pork loins to be found.  I groaned as I picked up a “lemon herb” pork loin, and watched as my dreams of my rosemary-Dijon pork were dashed.  However, this pre-marinated piggy turned out to be awesome.  All that I had to do was shove it in the oven for about 40 minutes, and boom.  Time to ring the dinner bell. 

For the veggies I decided to roast some zucchini, yellow squash, and a butternut squash.  The butternut squash takes a little longer to cook, so I cut it up into little cubes, tossed it with olive oil, salt & pepper, and then roasted it at 400 for about 10 minutes.  I took that out, and then added the zucchini and yellow squash to the mix (also cut into little medallions and then tossed with olive oil, salt, and peppa).  I roasted this trio at 400 for about 15 minutes.

At the beginning of the week, I made the dessert that we munched on for the rest of the week…cinnamon roll cookies:



These were SO good!!  It’s basically just sugar cookie dough rolled out, topped with cinnamon roll filling, and then rolled back up into a tube.  From there you just slice and bake.  The end result tastes like a buttery, flaky, cinnamon tart. 

Yummy yummy…last week was delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness those cookies look amazing! I will be stealing that recipe!

    ReplyDelete