Wednesday, November 14, 2012

my weekend: birthdays, aggies, and le miz

 This past weekend, I went to Houston.  I love going back home and seeing my family and friends, and this trip even had a bonus!  It was my grandma's/cousin's birthday celebration, so we went to see Le Miz!  It was a great trip...

I arrived in Houston late Friday night.  I would've gotten there earlier, but I spent about 30 minutes in the drive-thru lane at the McDonald's in Fairfield because there was a bus full of high school cheerleaders taking over the restaurant.  I guess it serves me right for eating McD's...

Anyway, my point is that I didn't have a whole lot of time to do anything once I got there on Friday night, so I'll start my story on Saturday morning.  At brunch.  At Benjy's. 

with Jimbo

White Peach Mimosas

Chicken and Waffles

with Mimi
Brunch was amazing, as always.  If you live in or around the Houston area and you haven't had brunch at Benjy's, GO.  I recommend the chicken and waffles.  The bacon chocolate chip waffles are also delicious.  That's right...BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP waffles.  Yum. 

Since we'd stuffed our stomachs to the maximum capacity that is sane for any normal human being at brunch, we decided to do the only logical thing we could do: go to my Uncle Rick's for cake and ice cream. 
Mimi and Jessy opening presents
While we were at my uncle's house, my cousin Josh found this great jacket that belonged to my Pappy.  This picture/story doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of this post, but I like it:
Go Oilers!
Once we left Uncle Rick's we really were full, so we went shopping.  I had a Groupon to Sam Moon (a store that sells a bunch of accessories), so I got a purse for 9 ducks.  Awesome.

As we were shopping/galavanting around Houston, a little football game was going on.  You might have heard something about it...



That's right.  My Aggies beat the #1 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide.  Roll Tears Roll...

Because we were shopping and doing other important things like getting ready to see an amazing show, we listened to most of the game on the radio.  I felt like I had gone back in time...


I saw the final score at another one of my favorite H-town spots, Barnaby's Cafe, thanks to my trusty ESPN scorecenter app.  I felt very un-girly downloading that thing, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do when it comes to the Aggies.  

I had the pesto chicken salad sandwich.  Delish.

WHOOP!
Once the Aggies were finishing playing and I was finished eating, we headed to the play!


The whole crew


Wow.  The show was so great!  It is so crazy to me that people can sing as well as the actors in this show did.  I mean, I try and try, and I don't even come close!  I think I could get there eventually, but Austin always makes me stop practicing because I'm "hurting his ears".  He's so sweet.

I ended my Houston weekend by meeting up with one of my favorite people, Kaway!  I've talked about her on ze blog before, but in case you don't know, Kaway is one of my very best friends.  We met in high school on the dance team, and we've been chums ever since.  We met for brunch at Pappasito's.  I like going there for brunch because they have frozen mimosas for 99 cents and FREE sopaphillas.  The food's not too bad either :)

Once brunch was over I packed up and hit the road.  It was kind of a stormy drive:

Things brightened up once I hit Buc-ees though.  I can always count on that place.

I'll be making the trek back to H-town next week for Spanksgivin', and this time I'll have Austin by my side to keep me company.  I can't wait!

PS- Today is my grandma's actual birthday, so HAPPY 81st BIRTHDAY, MIMI!!!  I love ya lots and can't wait to see you soon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment