Tuesday, August 16, 2011

the BEST chocolate chip cookies

Ok I know I know...everyone in the world claims to have "the absolute best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever", but guess what?  They're wrong.  I have the best!  Just kidding--I'm sure your recipe is good too, but I thought I'd share mine with everyone because I love it so much :)

I got this recipe from my sister when I was in high school, and I haven't looked back since.  Here she is:

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 stick crisco
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips 
Disclaimer: I didn't have a full bag of chocolate chips, so I used 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 peanut butter
Directions:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the crisco, sugar, and brown sugar.

**I need to interrupt this regularly scheduled blog post to tell you a story about my mixer**

As you can see, this mixer is clearly the highest quality that Walmart has on its shelves, and cost me a fortune (a whole 12 dollars...gasp!)  Well, apparently Walmart's highest quality mixers have a little malfunction involving the "on" switch.  Somehow this lovely mixer's on switch got pushed a little too hard, and is now permanently on.  Goody.  Well, most people would take this as a sign to buy a new mixer, but not I!  Instead, I just wait to plug it in until it is already in the bowl of stuff that I need to mix up.  Usually this works great, but yesterday when I was making these cookies I forgot about that little trick.  Needless to say, I had to take a brief intermission from cookie making to clean up some sugar and crisco.  Don't worry...the cookies still turned out just fine.

Ok back to the recipe:

After the crisco and sugars are mixed up add in the eggs one at a time...

Then stir in the vanilla.

Now you can add your dry ingredients!  Dump in some salt, baking soda, and 1 1/4 cups of your flour.  Fold these in with a SPOON.  If you try and mix it up with a mixer you will have a kitchen that resembles a winter wonderland.  (I definitely learned that the hard way...in my sister's kitchen...sorry Fox).

Once the first 1 1/4 cups of flour are incorporated you can add in the other cup.  Finally, stir in your chips.  Like I said up there, I used half a bag of chocolate and half a bag of peanut butter.  This is also the point in time where you can go buck wild with pecans, coconut, whatever tickles your fancy.  I'm a simple kind of girl though, so I usually just stick to the chippers!

Now you can make little balls of dough and place them on a lined cookie sheet...

Stick these little cuties in the oven for 8 minutes, and then pull 'em out!  They won't look done, but after you let them cool off for awhile they will be chewy and delicious.  

Eat them with a big glass of milk.  Or pile 'em up and serve them to your boyfriend's softball team...

No comments:

Post a Comment