Saturday, January 19, 2013

the "incident"

I had a little "incident" at the grocery store last Sunday, and I'd like to tell you about it.

My grocery store routine is pretty much down to a science.  On Saturday afternoon, I make a menu plan for the week and a list of groceries to go along with that menu.  I have been shopping at the Tom Thumb around the corner for almost a year, so I know their layout very well.  I even make my grocery list in the order that I am going to put things in my cart.  On Sunday afternoon, I go to the store and buy all of the items on my list.  It works for me.  

Last Sunday, I needed to buy avocados, among other things.  I grabbed a cart and headed in!  The first item on my list was sliced ham and cheese for sandwiches.  I got those things and started to place other produce-y stuff in my buggy.  Cilantro, check.  Yellow onion, check.  Lettuce, check.  Avocados, no check.  All of the avocados were still green...yuck!  That meant they were not ripe yet, and I really needed them to make guacamole that night!  I was in crisis mode.  

Then I had a light bulb moment!

Tom Thumb has this random display of things in the front lobby, and this week they happened to have avocados!   

Crisis averted!
I rolled my cart to the display that would save the day.  My plan was to get some ripe avocados and go about my shopping experience.  However, as I went through the doors, something happened to my shopping cart.


The wheel locked up, so I couldn't move it!!  Also, an alarm started going off and a man with a name tag came running after me!  What in the world?!  

Apparently, leaving one section of the store and going into another section constitutes shoplifting.  I quickly explained the situation, "I NEED RIPE AVOCADOS!", and the name tag man looked at me like I was crazy.  "You're going to have to get another cart, ma'am."

I got another cart.  I finished my shopping.  I paid for my groceries like every other honest, productive member of society.  I figured I was in the clear.  Then I saw this:  

Why do we need THREE police cars?!
I didn't know what the deal was!  I DO know that I'm a little scared to go back.  What if they follow me around the whole time?  What if I'm not allowed to buy avocados anymore?  

What if there is a big sign like this on the door???


Be thinking of me as I shop tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Breaking the law! Breaking the law! I don't know that I would have gone back in - I'd have been to embarrassed! Why do they put that stuff out in front like that if you can't take your cart out to it? So inconvenient!

    Glad you got your avocados and that they didn't haul you off to jail!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I had to go back in to get the rest of my groceries! But yes, I was definitely embarrassed.

      Delete
  2. HAHAHA! I just died laughing when I read this story! I would have done the same thing! If you need ripe avocados, you find the ripe ones outside!

    ReplyDelete