Tuesday, January 29, 2013

the dinner post

SUNDAY
Here's a link!
We had a staple around these parts on Sunday night.  Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad!  This dish is so easy to make (especially if you use that pre-washed lettuce from a bag), and it turns out great every time.  It's the perfect thing to start off your week!

MONDAY/TUESDAY

I tried out a newbie in my crockpot last Tuesday.  Crockpot Pork with Apples.  Austin and I had different opinions about this dish.  I LOVED it, and he HATED it.  We're in sync like that.

Austin said the reason that he didn't care much for this dinner was because the apples were "too mushy".  I, however, loved the consistency.  It was like eating apple pie filling on top of my pork chops.  Delish!  I suppose that if you are not a fan of delicious apple pie filling apples though, you could add the apples in during the last hour or so of cooking.

Get the recipe at EatLiveRun!

WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY

My crockpot was a busy bee last week!  I made Pesto Chicken in it for our dinners on Wednesday and Thursday.  This was a dish Austin and I could agree on--it was awesome!!  The chicken was also incredibly easy to make.  The original recipe calls for chicken thighs, but I chose to use a couple of breasts and some tenders I had laying around instead.  All you do is dump the chicken in the pot, sprinkle on a ranch dressing seasoning packet, pour in a jar of pesto, and add some chicken broth.  Presto!  Dinner's ready when we get home from work!  I served the chicken with a side of sauteed spinach and some mashed taters.


To make the spinach, I heat up about a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and throw in a big handfull of spinach.  When the spinach wilts a little bit, it's ready!  I also sprinkle in some salt and pepper for some flava.

I make mashed potatoes the way that any normal person makes mashed potatoes.
Link for the chicken!
LEFTOVERS

I used my leftover pesto chicken to make some wonderful chicken salad for my dinner on Friday and my lunch on Saturday (Austin was out of town).  To whip up this dish I shredded some chicken, added in some squirts of mayo and mustard, chopped up 2 hard boiled eggs, sprinkled in a few craisins, and topped it off with salt, pepper, paprika, and a dash of cinnamon.  YUM.

The perfect light dinner or lunch!
DESSERTS

I wish I had some new, exciting dessert to show you guys, but all I've got are more of these microwave chocolate cakes.  Seriously, if you haven't tried one yet...what the heck are you waiting for?!?!?  These babies are delicious, and it's just a small serving, so it's not even bad for you. 

I hope everyone is having a happy Tuesday!  I know I am :)

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the crock pot, a modern culinary miracle machine. How smart that you made enough to have leftovers. (I have never planned that purposefully before; maybe I should!)*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know how I survived college without a crockpot. That's the first thing I'm getting my kid when he/she goes off to school. And I *try* to make enough food so Austin and I have leftovers for lunch or that I can turn into something else, but it doesn't always work out, haha.

      Delete